The Midmark M3 Ultrafast sterilizer is a small, cassette using, automatic autoclave. Dentists’ offices use the M3 since it is rated for sterilizing dental hand pieces. You can find the service manual for this autoclave at this link.
This autoclave is electronically operated, meaning it is run with the push of a button (no dials). The chamber is a slide out “cassette” tray that easily removes to load your gear. It also has preset sterilizing cycles for pouches and unwrapped gear.
Similar cassette autoclaves to Midmark’s M3 include the Statim 2000 G4 and Statim 5000 G4 (which I detail here). Here’s a video from Midmark Dental on Youtube that shows the way this sterilizer works.
- Total width: 17.8 in. (45.2 cm)
- Total height: 7.1 in. (18.0 cm)
- Total length with the plug: 22 in. (55.9 cm)
- Smallest counter area needed: 24 in. depth x 22 in.
width (61 cm x 55.9 cm)
- Chamber size: 12.1 in. L x 7.6 in. W x 1.6 in. H (30.7 cm x 19.3 cm x 4.1 cm
- Usable volume: 0.49 gal. (1.8 liters)
- Tray: 11.75 in. (29.8 cm) L x 7.25 in. (18.4 cm) W x 1 in. (2.5 cm) H
- Autoclave weight: 71 lbs. (32.2 kg)
- Shipping weight: 80 lbs. (36.3 kg)
- Water capacity: 1.2 gal. (4.5 L)
- Electrical: 115 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 12 Amp Single Phase
- UL: U.S. and Canadian Standards
- One year warranty (double check with your vendor, though)
- Push button cycle selection (automatic)
- Electronically operated sterilization cycles
- Water levels are automatically monitored
- Water reservoir fill mouth is on the top.
- Front reservoir drain with drain tube storage
- Carrying handle
The M3 can sterilize unwrapped instruments in six minutes and pouches in a little over 10 minutes. It has a cycle which can dry instruments in 25 minutes, too. It is a smaller autoclave, so make sure you don’t need a larger machine, like the Midmark M9 or M11 or Tuttnauer’s 1730.
Midmark is highly regarded in the autoclave and dental industries, so this machine can be expected to perform well. I myself used a Midmark M11 for three years at a plastic surgeon’s office with no problems.