The Prestige Classic 2100 medical autoclave is a fully electric, professional grade, top loaded sterilizer by Prestige Medical U.K. It has a similar look and size to the “pressure cooker” types of sterilizers (I cover those here). But, the similarities end there. This one is electric operated and is not used on the stove top.
Water is added to the chamber and an internal heating element runs the show. The cycle is computer automated. It is much less expensive than more robust (cube shaped) table top machines from say, Tuttnauer or Midmark corporations. I’ve seen the Prestige Classic 2100 for sale at around $900 for a new one.
A surprising thing I found is that the Prestige Classic is sold in 80 countries across the globe, which leads it to being one of the best selling automated autoclaves in the world. Here is my video covering this table top sterilizer:
So, let’s get into the details of this little machine.
Dimensions of this Prestige 2100 Autoclave
- Height: 13.2 in. (33.5 cm)
- Machine weight: 9.9 lbs (4.5 kg)
- Width: 13.4 in. (34 cm)
- 120V electrical (make sure you don’t run 240V!)
- Diameter of the Chamber: 8.3 in. (21.1 cm)
- Height of Chamber: 9.3 in. (23.6 cm)
- Max Weight of the Load: 6.6 lbs. (3 kg)
- Longest Instrument that will Fit: 9 in. (22.9 cm)
Sterilizer Features and Functions
- Compact, portable, and light weight
- Internal instrument basket with a lid
- Lifetime guarantee for the internal heating element
- Listed by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Light indicators for: power, cycle in progress and sterilization in progress.
- Displays whether cycle was a success or failure.
- Start cycle with one push of the button
- Lid locks while the chamber is pressurized for safety. (It won’t blow its lid on you!)
- Over pressurization protection X2: Pressure release valve plus a gasket offset feature.
- It will detect if there is not enough water and turn the power off.
- Fuse is attached to a thermostat. If it gets too hot or there is a circuit fault, it will kick the sterilizer off.
- Gasket will last 750 cycles.
- 11 minute sterilizer cycle is very fast (trust me).
In summary, the Prestige Classic looks pretty solid for its price and compact size. Through my research, this one seems to stand in a category of its own. It is a useful autoclave for dentists, podiatrists, tattoo artists, piercing artists, nail salons and similar uses.
I am not sure if I would recommend it for surgical uses. I would prefer a better controlled vacuum environment. Given its popularity across the world, price, and portability, I would definitely recommend it for the listed offices, though.