Another benefit to the size is that longer instruments can be run in the 15″ by 30″ chamber. Before you choose an autoclave, make sure to go through your instruments to find the longest ones that you will be processing.
There are a few different versions of the Tuttnauer 3870 that I’ll discuss towards the bottom of this post.
Some Useful Links for the 3870
- Tuttnauer, USA web site
- Shop around for the 3870EA autoclave.
- Brochure for the 3870EA vs 3870M (M stands for manually operated)
Here’s my overview video for this Tuttnauer autoclave. I cover all the different versions of this one too, such as the “m”, which is the manual one and “elv” which is “electronic, lab, vertical.” Watch the vid so you can be really obsessed :
Needless to say, the 3870 is a large capacity machine that can fit 15 IMS sterilizing cassettes. It has a much larger sterilization chamber compared to something like Tuttnauer’s 2540m, or Midmark’s M11 autoclaves.
I have read in places that the 3870 comes with a three shelf stand and two year warranty. I write this all the time, but please verify the warranty and included items directly with your vendor/ supplier to be 100% sure. Assume nothing!
Tuttnauer focused on ease of use, automation, durability, and quality in this autoclave. One button touch (on the EA version) will lock the door, run the preset sterilization cycle, and then actively dry the load. The can help to increase the certainty that your sterile instruments and gear will remain sterile. Now for the full…
List of Tuttnauer 3870ea Features
- New bright blue digital display of machine information.
- Chamber is stainless steel, grade 316L that has been electro-polished for durability.
- Rapid cycles for a fast sterile instrument turnover.
- Auto shutoff after sterilization and drying cycles.
- Double door locking mechanism while chamber is pressurized for safety.
- Single touch controls for “set and forget” cycles. (No need to babysit the automatic version).
- Three pre-set sterilizing programs.
- Replaceable HEPA filter to reduce contaminants from the air.
- Active drying, closed door system. This limits the chances of contamination to wet packs and pouches that are newly sterilized.
- Ability to program and save custom cycles for your own needs.
- Optional printer to document your completed cycles.
- Automatic pressure and temperature monitoring.
- Cycle info recovery in case of power outage or interruption of cycle.
- Automatic water shutoff when low volume is detected to prevent sterilizer damage.
- Water reservoir drain valve is at front for easy emptying and cleaning.
- Thermostat is dual safety to prevent overheating and damaging of the autoclave.
Dimensions and Specifications
- Total size: 34.5″ x 26″ x 20.6″
- Dimensions of chamber: 15″ x 27″
- Size of Trays: Small – 1.3″ x 26.6″ x 1″; Large – 13.8″ x 26.6″ x 1″
- Holds three standard IMS cassettes.
- Dimensions of stand: 36″ x 24″ x 33″
- Water capacity: 22 gal.
- Cycle times: From cold start – 32 min.; From hot start – 23 min.
- Weight 213 lbs.
Other 3870 Versions Besides “EA”
Tuttnauer attaches different letters to their sterilizer series within the same models. Each letter describes a specific feature or purpose for that autoclave. We can get an idea of the contrasts when we know what the abbreviations mean.
Though the machines may all have the 3870 number, one looks very different and others have varying features. I did my best to match the letters with their function in the way that made sense to me. It might not be completely accurate, to be honest.
- 3870EA: Electronically controlled Automatic sterilizer
- 3870M: Manual version of this autoclave. Operated by dials on the front. Does not have automated drying process. Less expensive than the automatic EA version.
- 3870EHS: Stands for Electronic, High Speed, high vacuum autoclave. Has pre-vacuum and post vacuum cycle options.
- 3870ELV: Electronic, Laboratory, Vertical: These versions have door at top. They can process liquids, glass, and bio-hazard waste.
- EAP: EA version with optional Printer.
That’s about all the information I could find for the Tuttnauer 3870EA automatic autoclave and its cousin sterilizers. If you need some questions answered, please ask them in the comments or on my “Autoclave Reviews” Youtube Channel here.